ABOUT THE NAIIO
Located in the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), the National Artificial Intelligence Initiative Office (NAIIO) is legislated by the National Artificial Intelligence Initiative Act (DIVISION E, TITLE LI, SEC. 5102) to coordinate and support the National AI Initiative (NAII). The Director of the NAIIO is appointed by the Director of OSTP. The NAIIO is tasked to:
- Provide technical and administrative support to the Select Committee on AI (the senior interagency committee that oversees the NAII) and the National AI Initiative Advisory Committee;
- Oversee interagency coordination of the NAII;
- Serve as the central point of contact for technical and programmatic information exchange on activities related to the AI Initiative across Federal departments and agencies, industry, academia, nonprofit organizations, professional societies, State and tribal governments, and others;
- Conduct regular public outreach to diverse stakeholders; and
- Promote access to technologies, innovations, best practices, and expertise derived from Initiative activities to agency missions and systems across the Federal government.
The NAIIO staff include employees on detail assignments from across the government.